The recipe for these potatoes is pretty straight forward, yet so versatile that it should become a staple in your kitchen! This past winter, while visiting my in-laws over Christmas, my mother-in-law made these and they were SO GOOD. I’ve been making them ever since and decided it was finally time to share with the world.
We ate these potatoes as a side for a pretty classic dinner; steak, broccoli & Crispy Smashed Potatoes. The great thing about this side dish is you can use any fats, seasonings and potatoes you’d like. This recipe is kind-of like one of those “build your own adventure” books.
I used small red potatoes here, but any potato, fingerling, red, russet, sweet etc., can work for this side dish. Just be sure to boil the potatoes until fork-tender, especially for larger potatoes.
This time, I made a truffle-version of Crispy Smashed Potatoes, thanks to a couple of wonderful gifts I’ve received recently! I used Black Truffle Oil and White Truffle Salt, but you could do anything here: from basic olive oil & salt to more a decadent butter & a sprinkle of parmesan…the possibilities are endless!
What makes these potatoes special is how crispy they get when you put them in the oven. It makes a boring potato really come to life!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Servings: 2 (easily doubled, tripled, etc.)
Prep time: 5min
Cook time: 45min (depends on size of the potatoes)
- potatoes of your choice (red, russet, sweet, fingerling, etc.)
- fat of your choice (oil, butter, etc.)
- seasoning of your choice (salt, dried herbs, parmesan, etc.)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Boil potatoes until fork-tender
- Place potatoes on baking sheet
- Using a fork, smash potatoes until flattened
- Drizzle with your fat of choice, and top with your seasoning of choice
- Bake for 20min, or until the edges are brown & crispy
Question: Do you enjoy receiving food-related gifts? What’s your favorite kitchen item to receive?