It was a dreary day in Baltimore, so last night I made Creamy Chicken, Mushroom & Broccoli Soup (loosely based on a recipe from Skinny Taste).
I used low sodium chicken broth, and unsalted butter for this soup. I like to use low/no sodium ingredients when I’m cooking, so that I can add my desired amount of salt as I go. I usually won’t list salt and pepper in a recipe, but I always taste my food as it’s cooking and use salt (I’m a fan of kosher salt) and freshly ground black pepper when necessary. Salt and pepper can seriously make or break a meal, so don’t forget about them!
I had never made this soup before, but I liked the technique of blending part of the soup to thicken it up…I will definitely be doing that again! Also, this technique uses one of my all-time favorite kitchen appliances, my Vitamix. We were lucky enough to receive our Vitamix from my husband’s parents as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago, as these blenders are quite the monetary investment. I’ve been in love with it ever since! It’s great for my morning smoothie, soups, nut butters, sauces, and the list goes on.
You’ll notice that this soup has chicken in it, so I want to point out that I’m not strictly a vegetarian. That being said, you will see quite a few vegetarian recipes here on the blog. I eat meat occasionally, and when I do it’s mainly chicken or seafood. If you don’t eat meat, you could easily keep the chicken out of this recipe and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
On my way home, I picked up some Panera sourdough rolls to serve alongside this soup…highly recommend! However, a nice side salad would also be a great, lighter, option.
Creamy Chicken, Mushroom & Broccoli Soup
Prep time: 5min
Cook time: 35min
- 1/2lb chicken breast
- 8oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 stalks celery
- 2C broccoli, chopped
- 4C chicken broth
- 3T flour
- 1T butter
- Place flour & chicken broth in blender; blend until smooth
- Pour mixture into dutch oven, over medium heat
- Add mushrooms, celery, broccoli & butter; bring to a boil
- Add chicken, cover and cook for 15min (until chicken is cooked)
- Remove chicken, let cool before shredding or dicing
- Place celery and 1.5C of soup into blender; blend until smooth
- Add blended soup back into dutch over, along with the shredded/chopped chicken
Question: What’s the most recent kitchen/cooking technique you’ve learned?