Because I had to start somewhere. Because black bean burgers are my fav. Because I want you to make these tonight. I present, Pumpkin-Black Bean Burgers:
I make black bean burgers almost every week. They are simple, filling and versatile, which makes them a dinner staple in our house! In the future, I’ll go over my ‘baseline’ black bean burger recipe, but today I want to discuss a NEW black bean burger recipe I tried out recently. Enter: Pumpkin Black Bean Burgers. The burgers I made were loosely based on this recipe from Sprouted Kitchen.
I love using canned pumpkin in my overnight oats (watch out for a future post on this!), but I use about 1 tablespoon a day and that leaves a lot of leftover pumpkin once you’ve opened a can. These burgers were the perfect answer to my leftover pumpkin problem (let’s be honest, that’s a problem I’m okay with!).
These were great! The pumpkin gave them great flavor, and they are pretty different from our usual black bean burgers, so switching it up is always nice. You could serve these on a classic hamburger bun, with all the fixin’s, or over a salad. I opted to serve them alongside some grilled green beans and mushrooms.
Pumpkin-Black Bean Burgers
Prep time: 5min
Cook time: 30min
Makes: 5 patties
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 scallions, white parts only, chopped
- 1/2 C pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/3 cup oats, ground into flour
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Grind oats into flour using food processor
- Add black beans to food processor, pulse for 30 seconds to break up/mash beans
- Add contents of food processor into bowl, along with remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly
- Form into 5 patties and place on a baking sheet
- Bake for 30 minuets, flipping once after 15 minutes
Question: Do you have ‘staple’ meals in your house? Is it a family recipe? Something that’s quick & easy for weeknights? A labor-intensive recipe you make on weekends?