I always have high hopes for stuffed peppers. We eat with our eyes first, right? Stuffed peppers always look so amazing. But then I dig in and am like, “Why didn’t I just chop up this pepper and cook it with the filling?” Presentation. That’s why.
These stuffed peppers were delicious! I had only planned on making 2, but there was enough filling for 4 peppers so we ate the extra filling on the side. So, so good.
There are many different methods out there for stuffed peppers. Some have you pre-bake the peppers so you don’t have to bake as long with the filling in. The method I use here bakes & steams the peppers, since they are wrapped tightly with foil. I think this speeds up the baking time a bit.
The recipe I’ve written out below calls for 3/4lb (12 oz) of ground turkey. I actually used about 10 oz, since I bought the pre-packed ground turkey, which came in a 20oz container. I popped the other half of the gound turkey into the freezer, and plan to thaw it some other time to make my Taco Frittata.
You’ll notice it looks like I used more than 2 stalks of celery; actually, I used a diced up cubanelle pepper. I wouldn’t say the recipe needed this, it’s just that it was approaching the end of it’s life in the fridge so it was use it or lose it time.
Even though I only had 2 peppers, the amount of filling made for the recipe would easily fill 4 peppers. And for my non meat-eating readers, I would recommend subbing a can of chickpeas (drained & rinsed) for the ground turkey in this recipe!
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Makes: 4 peppers
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3/4lb ground turkey
- 14oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2T tomato paste
- 2t dried rosemary
- 1/2C feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4C dry quinoa, cooked
- 4 bell peppers, tops off & insides cleared
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees
- Add celery to a pan over medium heat, cook until celery starts to soften (~5min)
- Add ground turkey to pan, brown
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato pates, rosemary and quinoa to pan; mix well and cook long enough to warm through
- Take the pan off the heat, add feta cheese and mix well
- Fill bell peppers with turkey mixture and place in baking dish
- Cover, bake for 30 min
Question: Do you think presentation makes a difference for a weeknight dinner at home?